Ceramic RP

From: lonepeak (lonepeak@aros.net)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 18:49:56 EEST

RP Mailing List:

>I have read a lot of discussions about ceramics a few weeks or months ago. I
>did not notice this very well. Did somebody used LMT parts for making
>ceramic parts?

We rapidly fabricated in ceramic materials using a modified LOM process,
which is a direct method and a Rapid Slip Casting technique, which uses RP
patterns as the casting master.

The LOM technique involves using our own flexible ceramic powder/polymer
blends sheets of anywhere between 5 to 10 thousandths in thickness (depends
on the composition) that we auto feed into the LOM system using our own
robotic sheet feeder. We typically produce ceramic components on this
system that are within 92-97% of theoretical density. Most geometries that
are suited for normal LOM builds work fine in the ceramic materials for
example - LOM is not an RP process that would be recommended for thin wall
parts, therefore we would not recommend building thin wall ceramic parts
using the LOM technique. The parts require heating in a furnace to drive
off the organic components and to sinter the parts to full density.

Our ceramic LOM materials include:
1. alumina
2. zirconia
3. silicon nitride
4. aluminum nitride
5. barium titanate
6. tungsten carbide
7. silicon carbide
8. bioceramic materials (very expensive!!)

We also have produced metals for the LOM system which include a stainless
steel 316 composition, silicon metal, a sinterable aluminum, and a titanium
composition.

We primarily use Z Corp's 3DP wax-infiltrated parts for our patterns for
both our Rapid Ceramic Slip Casting process and when we go to investment
casting in bronze or other metals (recently titanium!!). However, that is
more of a personal preference as we like working with the waxy pattern
better than any other RP system because we can get an extremely smooth
finish on the pattern that is water resistant in the case of the slip
casting and burns out nicely for investment casting.

I hope this provides some additional information. Ceramics are often
difficult materials to fabricate but when you get the composition and
geometry right, the material will perform beautifully in some really extreme
environments.

Alair Emory
CEO
Javelin, a Lone Peak Engineering, Inc. Company
470 Lawndale Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
801-466-5518
alair@lonepeak.com