Re: Objet

From: long time (long_time@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 23:33:38 EEST

I really hope you were looking at differant parts than I. Every other part I
saw in thier cases had part SHIFTS and the side wall quality (that I saw)
could NOT have ensured accuracy.
Tell me I'm wrong or just spoiled.
Al Sims

I also saw the Objet at the RP Show in Chicago this past week and am amazed
at the combination of its speed and accuracy (and of course its price).
  Especially its accuracy after noticing how much it rocks from side to side
during a build. However, a couple of things came to mind later...

1) A question I thought of on my way home from the show concerns its
support structure. First of all, I love how the support system works in
that there is no evidence of a support system on the part (i.e. support
marks). But I wonder how it would build internal features? For example, a
ketchup bottle with flat sides... I am sure you could build it in two
halves, but if you had to build it whole how would you get the support
structure out of the bottle?

2) Even a round bottle (beer bottle) may pose a problem. On an SLA
machine we can blow away the supports on the inside of these bottles and
the machine will stair step its way around. To me it seems that the Objet
would not be able to "suspend" liquid resin along the insides of an
internal curved part. (I hope I am explaining this in an understandable
way).

3) What about a quickcast part?

Brad Hauptmann
Project Engineer/Sales