Re: Bits2Parts.com - a new web service for RP

From: Fusioneng@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 17:31:42 EEST

Jorn and list ;
You are absolutly right. We have recieved many files from Mechanical Desktop
and also the new Inventor from Autodesk. We have the same problem, the STL
files are totally unusable for RP. I have yet to recieve a valid STL file
from an Autodesk product (since 1983). I have the same problems with SDRC so
I guess Autodesk is not alone. It's no wonder why all the STL fix programs
are doing such a brisk business when the major Cad vendors put out such junk.
Its funny we very seldom have any difficulties with ProE, Solidworks, Catia,
or even UG (used to be McAuto). So if it can be done why can't they all do it
right. After all none of these systems are shareware, (maybe it is for those
who don't buy it legitimatly). My advise would be if you use this service get
the file translated into Step (the international standard exchange format
PDES/STEP). With Step you have the best chance to get the most valid data
into your own native system, then produce your own STL files from there in
your native system. Once the file is tessellated into triangles it is
anybodies guess what is correct and what isn't.

    I have no real problems with ACIS (.sat), Parasolid (.par), or DXF (.dxf)
formats except they are all propriety and not internationally regulated or
licensed by the ISO. Thus they can be changed at any time by the vendors to
keep their competitors guessing Just look at the history of DXF every version
is different. Most vendors wrote their DXF translators for Autocad 12 or
earlier and havn't updated the translator since (maybe thats why the DXF
translator is usually free). You get exactly what you pay for.

    Even with its shortcomings I believe this E-based system from Spatial
will have a huge impact on the entire industry (talk about the right idea at
the right time). Who knows they might be the next Amazon.com
My 2 cents
Bob Morton
Fusion Engineering

In a message dated 4/14/00 3:09:41 AM Central Daylight Time,