RE: Idea to reinforce ThermoJet models in-process

From: SiderWhite (SiderWhite@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 07:42:28 EEST

Dear rp-ml:

Had an idea on how to improve the strength of the current Thermojet
material as it's being built. How about follow-up jets that would be
placed immediately behind the wax jets and that would deposit either
powder (say a spiked shape like a cockleburr) or microfine frayed end
threads when the wax was still in molten form to strengthen the wax material
similar
in principle to a whisker-reinforced composite material or in cruder form
like rebar in concrete. The deposited material would have to be heavy
enough and not too dense in its distribution pattern so that it could sink
into the
molten wax enough so that it would not be pulled up when the layer is shaved
level.

 Has anybody ever taken a serious look at this method or something along
these
lines?

Fragility is really the number one problem with ThermoJet models (especially
with the thin-walled
models we typically make), in my experience, and way too many of them end up
in little pieces by the end of the meeting!!

Regards,

Glenn Whiteside