Inspection of free form surfaces

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 03:07:03 EET

I can't find Steve Pitt's original email so I will reply via rp-ml.

Steve, I have a recollection of work being done on holographic
interferometry (or at least I think that is the term). Some guys at BAe
were working on it when I was doing my PhD in the early 80s and I'm sure
this work must have progressed since then. The principle was to project a
hologram on to the surface of a part. If the hologram represented the CAD
model, then dimensional irregularities could be represented by fringe
patterns.

The point here is that you can manipulate the part in real time to
determine the minimal errors.

Regards

IG

Dr. Ian Gibson
Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Hong Kong
tel: (852) 28597901
fax: (852) 28585415
mobile: (852) 98738281
igibson@hkucc.hku.hk

We work our jobs
Collect our pay
Believe we're ridin' down the highway when in fact we're slip-slidin away
(Paul Simon)