(no subject)

From: Rapid Dude (rp-adm@ltk.hut.fi)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 08:07:29 EET

Hello

This message nearly did not make it to the list... but here it finally is.

When replying to this email, Please read the address before you hit the
send button. Reply only to rp-ml or to gernste@mail.arco.com

Thanx!

Yours truly

Hannu Kaikonen <rp-adm@ltk.hut.fi>
 'owner rp-ml'
*Share and Enjoy!*

From: gernste@mail.arco.com
To: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:31:44 -0600
Subject: help required to create topographical prototype

I am new to this mailing list as well as new to the whole world of Rapid
Prototyping.
I work for an oil & gas company and am attempting to learn about Rapid
Prototyping.
I am interested in having a topographical prototype built of a subsurface map.
Unfortunately all of the geologic mapping applications I have access to are not
capable of creating STL or IGES formated files.
The closest format I have been able to get is: 1) xyz grid data for the top
surface, 2) DXF (2D only), or 3) VRML.
Is it possible to convert these files into a format that I can send to a
manufacturing firm and have a prototype built? (My preferred option is to use
the VRML file.)

I have a second question as well. Would it be better for me to pursue a
topographical prototype using StereoLithography (SLA), Laminated Object
Modelling (LOM) or Selective Laser Sintering (SLS)?

I thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.
Greg Ernster