RE: Electronic Module Maker (EMM)

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 23:07:03 EET

Al,

Can you explain a little more about what you mean by a circuit? I don't
want to assume you mean a printed circuit board or a replacement thereof,
if you mean some else, like a microelectronic integrated circuit on a chip.

In printed circuit boards, one of the things I've heard people ask for is
a flexible board or, even better, the ability to print the circuits
directly onto a curved surface, like the inside of the housing of an electronic
module. All the normal shielding needs to be maintained as well.

A few companies tried to sell printed circuit board rapid prototyping
machines 10 or 12 years ago, but I don't think they succeeded, because they
didn't match the performance needed to simulate actual performance and the
customers felt they could build their own prototypes faster, in a few
days, or send them out to be done at contract manufacturers, like Solectron,
to be done better than the RP machines could do.

I believe Terry Wohlers looked into this a couple years ago (more
recently than I have), but I don't remember we talked about ceramic materials
then.

I hope this helps.

Brock Hinzmann