Re: Color SLS Prototypes?

From: Timothy J. Gornet (tim.gornet@louisville.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 15:58:53 EET

David, there are several possibilities for colored SLS prototypes. If the parts were flexible, then they were quite likely the DuPont SOMOS for the SLS process that I have seen in many different colors. I don't run the material, but I believe it is infiltrated with a urethane after processing that can be made in different colors.

Another way is to use RIT dye on the Duraform parts. Have not done a lot of this but we have done it successfully. The dyes come in every color imaginable. Seems to work best on Duraform and less well on Duraform GF.

Good luck,
Tim

Tim Gornet Computer Aided Engineering Consultant
INTERNET: tim.gornet@louisville.edu
SLUGNET: Vogt Bldg. Rm 101, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292
PHONENET: (502)852-0714 FAXNET: (502)852-8890
Rapid Prototype Facility

>>> "david sanderson" <sandersond30@hotmail.com> 02/21 7:21 PM >>>
Dear List,

Does anyone know of colored prototypes made using the SLS process? I have
had a number of queries from customers whom have seen parts made in this
way. Any information on the material properties, available colors and
sources for parts would be greatly appreciated.

Information can either be sent to the group or in confidence to
mailto:sandersond30@hotmail.com.

Thanks

David