RE: Dust Collection Systems

From: Deak, Steve (sdeak@hasbro.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 23:48:41 EET

We use Donaldson/Torit dust collectors. These are stand-alone units with
flexible ducting for a broad range of configurations. We have a 1.5 HP unit
for the SLS breakout and the bead blast cabinet. We have a second with a 5
HP motor for the downdraft table for sanding SL parts. These units have
auto filter shakers and ultra-fine pleated filters.

There are many comparable air filtration manufacturers. Plan to spend
US$2000 and up.

For those with smaller wallets, check out http://www.dustkits.com. I'm not
sure these units have the fine filtration, but it looks like a low cost way
to get a down draft table. These are do-it-yourself kits. We do not own
one of these, but I thought the info was useful to pass on.

In any case, be careful when selecting a dust collection system. You must
consider the materials and environment to make sure you do not create an
explosion problem as well.

There are many options in this area. The Thomas Register is a good place to
look as well.

Steve Deak
Mgr.-Rapid Prototyping e-mail: sdeak@hasbro.com
Hasbro, Inc. voice: (+1) 513-579-3270
615 Elsinore Place fax: (+1) 513-579-3250
Cincinnati, OH 45202 USA Making The World Smile TM