need [trial] software STL package for class exercise

From: Mark Henderson (mark.henderson@asu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 01:39:36 EET

I am teaching a module on RP in my graduate class and have assigned in the
past an exercise to manually fix the STL file of a part using the
Materialise MAGICS software. The students could see gaps, inverted normals,
etc., graphically display vertex coordinates and then go to the ascii file
and fix it. I could download it as a trial package and so could my
students. Now that has changed and each student has to request a password
to try it out (major hassle).

Are there any trial s/w packages or other methods which the students can
download and use to read and display an STL file including inverted normals,
missing triangles and the x,y,z coordinates of specific vertices? The
Magics package would do that, but now I need a substitute. Thanks. I have
tried SolidView which displays the problem triangle areas, but not the
vertex coordinates to help locate the problem triangles.

Mark Henderson
Dept. of Industrial Engineering
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-5906