OT: castings as reflectors for lighting?

From: Pickard, Paul (PPickard@Lithonia.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 17:14:02 EET

All -

Sorry for the divergence from RP, but I figured if any group of people would
know the answer to this question, it would be this one. I'm trying to find
out if there is a reasonable-cost method of using an aluminum or magnesium
casting as a reflector for use in lighting applications. Most die-cast
lighting fixtures use a multi-faceted anodized aluminum insert to derive
their optical distribution. What I'm thinking of is some sort of optical
coating (ala vacuum metalizing for plastics) that could be applied to a cast
part. The higher the reflectivity the better, with high specularity being
of secondary importance. (Semi-specular would work just as well.) Thanks
for any advice you might have!

Paul Pickard
Lithonia Lighting - Electronic Systems