Rapid tooling for large parts

From: B. J. Arnold-Feret (ppsltd@airmail.net)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 19:14:38 EET

I am NOT looking for quotes for a project, but I am looking for information
on successful rapid tooling/alternative tooling in blow molding and in
structural foam applications. Specifically, has anyone has documented
success out there doing a blow mold using RT processes, or the large
structural foam injection molds using RT. I don't need experimental
techniques, or "we could try" but real cases where RT has worked.

The difficulty in both of these area is that the mold sizes are typically
larger than the process envelope for RT and tolerances over the larger
expanse of the tool can be a problem. For example, if we use a blow molded
panel for office furniture, where the panel is 12 by 18 by 2, from ABS, and
a desktop 17 inch monitor for structural foam injection molding - are there
any techniques that have worked for these types of applications that are
commercial.

B. J. Arnold-Feret
ppsltd@airmail.net