RE: eXtended STL-Format

From: Terry T. Wohlers (twohlers@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 04:56:22 EET

Anshuman Razdan wrote:

> How pervasive is STEP really?

Most vendors of CAD solid modeling software now support STEP.

> and when do you see IGES totally going away?

I believe Mike Pratt answered that. Of course, it will take years before
it disappears entirely, but that doesn't preclude anyone from using STEP.

> Would the cumbersome nature of STEP prohibit its pervasive use?

I don't see it being cumbersome to use in the context of RP.

> Remember STL is popular since its not a cumbersome format. My STL read
routine is
> less than 100 lines of code.

Good point. It may require more than 100 lines of code to read the
polygonal data stored in a STEP file, but maybe not. Regardless, if we
want to progress to a more sophisticated format so that we can take fuller
advantage of CAD model data (e.g., smooth math surfaces, color), then we'll
probably have to give up the simplicity that comes with reading a very
basic format such as STL.

Terry

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.