RE: LightYear software

From: Stacie Van Dorin (svandorin@solidconcepts.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 20:03:54 EET

I have experienced problems with the new draw order. I have had the most
problems with my SLA 250's. I am sure this is due to the slow scan speed of
the SLA 250's. I build a lot of small parts on my SLA 250's and I am having
problems with the boarders moving, espically on small overhang features that
do not require supports. If I build the part on a run by itself the part
will turn out fine, but if I build a tray full of parts, the parts being
hatched last display various types of boarder movement problems. One way I
tried to resolve this problem is changing my build style to include multiple
boarders. This slightly improved the quality of the parts I built, but only
slightly and the slight improvement was not worth the longer build time.

I have not noticed any major problems with parts being built on the SLA
500's with the Lightyear software however I have noticed some minor boarder
issues. I am concerned though because I have not built any large surface
Quick Cast parts or any large volume/wall thickness part with the new
Lightyear software.

If 3D changed this just to accommodated the SLA 7000 customers does that
mean they are not concerned with the accuracy or customers of the other SLA
machines they produce, or are they just trying to get us to build one part
at a time?
Stacie L. Van Dorin
Manager, Rapid Prototype Engineering

Solid Concepts