STL for ever?

From: Tom Richards (tomr@aicasting.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 18:35:39 EET

Hello all:

Charly Fruth said:

"STL- Format has also big advantages:
1. Public
2. Available in nearly all Systems
3. Easy to use
4. Flexible in use
I could imagine to define an easy Extension:
We could use the SOLID keyword. SOLID INSIDE will define an area in the
part with special specifications, like SOLID INSIDE Ccolor
Mmaterial,...
This could be ease because everybody could use STL like before. If there
is a CAD System they can use the new extension. A filter could seperate
SOLIDS with the new extension."

I would add:
5. Robust in transfers

My experience with STL in foundry work suggests that it is a robust format
for file transfers in getting fabber business done. If you need better
detail, you simply go to a larger file (more bytes), and today's computers
and data transfer systems handle them with ease.

I hope that some of you software gurus will jump onto Charly Fruth's
bandwagon, and develop the extensions, which will make STL "all that it can
be".