Direct Metal Build Processes - Benchmarking & RTD

From: Dr Matt Murphy (MurphyM@mechnet.liv.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 12:36:27 EET

I have been contracted by a major EU auto manufacturer to carry out benchmarking study of direct metal build processes.

We are not concerned with the pre-placed powder 'sintering' processes but are keen to assess the delivered powder, laser melting processes (LENS etc). The study will require both a benchmark component and a benchmark tool insert to be manufactured (both within a bounding volume of 150 x 150 x 150 mm).

My client plans to either purchase a commercially available system if it meets their needs, or to support the final stages of development of a new process with a view to purchase / beta test.

Materials of interest are Al & Ti alloys (for components) and steel (for tools). The potential to deposit multi material graded structures is of great interest.

If any listees have either commercially available or developmental systems, and would like to take part in the study then please contact me.

European organisations only:

I am also working with this same company to establish a 5th Framework - Competitive & Sustainable Growth Programme project to investigate certain aspects of the deposition of graded structures / MMCs within a direct metal, additive fabrication process. Alloy systems of interest are Al and Ti based, graded into hardfacing alloys and coppers. MMCs will consist of the base alloys plus particulate ceramics.

If there are any EU auto OEMs or supply chain that would like to find out more with a view to possible involvement then please contact me.

Best wishes,

Matt

Dr Matt Murphy

Director
Collected Consultants Limited
+44 402 745 278

Senior Research Fellow
Laser Materials Processing & Rapid Manufacture
University of Liverpool
+44 151 794 4840