Re: How do I produce silicon and synthetic marble

From: Rudolf Schenker[Pr.Tech.(Eng)] (rudis@ibi.co.za)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 20:28:04 EET

tal.zarum@aks.com wrote:

> Dear Friends ,
>
> Does anybody know which materials should I combine in order to produce
> silicon (it has to be liquid at first so that I can cast it) ,
>
> another question is which materials should I combine in order to produce
> synthetic marble.
>
> Thanks
>
> talz@aks.com

Dear Tal

It sounds like you are looking for a RTV silicone. This material is freely
available on the market. I prefer to use the GE/Bayer RTV silicones.
Wacker also makes supplies good RTV silicones.

You can also make "synthetic marble" from a combination of epoxy resin, Kulu
10 Brite(a white filler powder 10 micron size) and aluminium or metal oxides
(grey & red powders). The final addition of the oxide & incomplete mixing
process will give you the marble pattern. This method can also be used for
the imitation of Ivory, Granite and Onyx materials.

Hope it helps!

Regards
Rudi

--