Academic Research - 21st Century

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 16:27:56 EET

>Agents and IPOs: A retrospective of my academic career
>(2000-2050) Simon H. Friedman*
>
>It's been a long and exciting career as an academic
>scientist, and as I look back on the time I spent doing
>science, I realize that perhaps my greatest contributions
>were in the way science is done and not in my specific
>academic contributions.
>
>Early in my career as an assistant professor, I was being
>eaten alive in negotiations, especially by MBA types from
>venture capital firms. It seemed their whole lives were
>centered around setting up deals, and their skills were
>honed for that purpose. I, on the other hand, spent most
>of my timethinking of ideas, working in the lab and writing
>grants.
>
>Oh sure, there are minor negotiations that permeate human interactions, but
>I was completely out of my league in talking to these guys.
>
>As an assistant professor in aero/astro, I had come up with
>a small, personal jet pack that would allow people to move
>through the airspace of crowded cities with ease, crossing
>Manhattan in about 2 minutes at rush hour, compared with a
>30-minute drive in traffic. There were specific scientific
>issues that needed to be resolved, including the
>characterization and refinement of a lightweight composite
>material (one of my areas of specialty) that was key for
>making the jet packs light. There was considerable interest
>from a couple of venture capital firms in supporting the
>work.
>
>However, when I went to discuss the nitty-gritty details
>with them, it became clear that by signing on, though I
>would get the quick infusion of money I needed to push the
>research forward, I would also quickly lose control of my
>ideas and labor. It was a source of frustration.
>
>It was around then that I met a man who was to turn around
>my situation and, at the same time, start a revolution in
>the way academics pursue research and funding. I played
>racquet ball at a health club in the Los Angeles area and,
>by joining a "ladder," I played different people of similar
>ability a couple of times a week. One guy I kept playing
>and grew friendly with was Ed "Buddy" Miller. Ed was an
>agent involved in the music industry and represented a
>bunch of folks (most of whom I hadn't heard of but was
>assured were "big names").
>
>He found my stories of negotiations with the venture capital
>firms interesting, and he liked to point out the parallels
>between the two businesses, which I didn't quite see. "You
>know, these situations are almost identical ...," he told me
>one day after a game. "In the music biz, like in the science
>biz, you have talented individuals with ideas and skills that
>are rare or unique. It makes negotiations for me pretty straightforward. Of
>course, there is this unknown aspect of
>the final product: do people want it, are they going to buy
>it? But once you have a 'hit-maker,' negotiating a great deal
> [...]

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/rp/