eXtended STL-Format

From: Aad van der Geest (spitstec@wxs.nl)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 10:55:16 EET

Dear List,

For my full colour 3D-printer (which was shown on the Euromold) I use a
specially adapted binary stl-files.
For every triangle the colour information is in the attribute count (16 bits).
bit 15 always 1 (to distinguish from normal stl files)
bit 10 to 14 intensity level for red (0 to 31)
bit 5 to 9 intensity level for green (0 to 31)
bit 0 to 4 intensity level for blue (0 to 31)
In this way there are 32768 different colours.

Several CAD-suppliers are considering implementing this adapted STL-file.

Best Regards,
Aad van der Geest