Re: Refractory Slurry

From: Martin Koch (mkoch@calpoly.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 22:31:04 EET

Hello Tom & Doris:

Just a quick note to add to Tom's comments:

1) Plaster Molding or rubber-plaster molding is different from the solid flask
investment casting that Tom described.
Rubber-Plaster is used to prototype diecasting (among other methods) and is based
upon rubber take-offs of a master pattern. It does not use a wax or a
"lost-pattern" and also requires a permeability to be structured in the plaster
(more so than solid flask).

2) It is my understanding of solid flask that it is used for non-ferrous
applications for two reasons: a) Sulfer in the gypsum reacts with ferrous materials
and b) if you preheat the plaster much above the 1400f that tom mentioned you will
destroy it and thus you can't heat it to the typical 1800f that is used in ceramic
shell.

have fun
martin