Re: Off topic - Internet connection speeds

From: Patrick Rea (prea@drastictech.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 22:54:33 EET

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: Off topic - Internet connection speeds

>At 4:20 PM -0500 1999/11/30, KDenton@williams-int.com wrote:
>>Have any of you hooked up to the Internet using ASDL?
>>How is it? Are you satisfied?
>>Karl Denton
>
>Karl,
>
>ADSL is alright, but there are limitations to it, the greatest being
>the fact that if there are more than 4 miles of phone lines between
......Clip.....
>access at $35 to $50 per month.

Actually here in Canada, home access to ADSL (the High Speed Edition from
Bell) currently runs CDN$45 (About US$30) which includes the god-awful 15%
taxes as well as the rental of the 1Mbs Nortel Modem. This allows you to
connect up to 8 machines in one house across a hub. If you create your own
gateway/ firewall you can run as many as you like. The only drawback is that
they use PPPoE to allow others to resell the service. This makes it a little
more difficult to use your favourite (Insert Flavour Here)-nix box as a
gateway or even as your desktop. And on top of that, they only "support"
95/98 and Mac directly. If you run NT they have some patch that kills your
machine.

The nice thing about it is the speed. I have to disagree with your
description of the speed as I have a 1Mbs modem (theoretical) and have hit
some of the speed testing sites and seen my connection actually hit above
that at 3am and get very close between 8 and 11pm EST. I have pulled 5-10MB
files off of my externally hosted website at speeds approaching 950Kbs
sustained using a Win95 machine. And I am roughly 5-6,000 feet from the
central office. Uploads tend to be a little slower, they top out at roughly
250-300 Kbs.

People here are complaining that they are seeing downloads at roughly
200-300Kbs during peak hours (20-2300 EST) and only 4-500 Kbs at the best
times on top off massive week long outages of the service.

Patrick Rea
Technical Services Manager
Drastic Technologies Ltd.
http://www.drastictech.com