Re: 3D- Milling with robots and/or cnc

From: Fusioneng@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 27 1999 - 21:24:20 EET

berthold;
 If I were tasked with cutting a 3D body from stone I would use Delcam
Powermill software for the programming and a Makino CNC machine for the
cutting. I would be afraid a less expensive machine would not be rigid enough
and would have too much vibration. You would also need at least 30,000 rpm
spindle in order to get any kind of detail with small cutters. You will also
need to be able to traverse at least 5 or 6 hundred inches a minute
accurately. If not the job could take weeks to complete. There are several
new carbide coatings that should hold up to the task though you would have to
experiment a bit.
     We have quite a few of these type machines which we use for cutting
hardened mould cavities with very complex 3D shapes and have found them to
perform very well. Hope you have deep pockets because these machines are
about a half a million dollars, the software is very expensive and you will
have to pay a good programmer and an operator I would guess in excess of
$22/hr each. Make sure its worth the investment. And in case you were
thinking having us doing the job for you. The answer is no, we only stick
closely to our baseline business which is Mouldmaking. You may find another
mouldshop to cut your statues however. Try your local area, most mouldshops
have the proper equipment to do the job.
regards
Bob Morton
Fusion Engineering

In a message dated 11/26/99 10:12:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,