RE: Spray steel?

From: Halford, Ben (ben.halford@pera.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 17:41:01 EET

Marshall
It is entirely possible to both plasma and arc spray unlimited thickness' of
tool steel direct onto SLA. Ref. my e-mail yesterday the trick is not to
overheat the part, to get the material to adhere to the part, and control
the residual stress levels upon cooling of the metal. Using techniques
developed here at Pera I have manually sprayed (no secondary systems or
simultaneous shot peening) tools which are up to 16 mm thick (I stopped
because I, the robot, was bored). To give you an example of these tools
performance one tool with a shell only 2.5 mm thick and backed with resin
has produced over 3000 glass filled ABS parts with no wear at all. Another
tool was heat treated at 800 deg C and air quenched only moved 0.1 of a mm
throughout (which we think is actually a layer of oxide rather than
distortion). Typical manufacturing times are about twice those of working
with zinc but the performance as you can see blows other low melting point
spraying materials away.
Ben

Ben (Halford)
Consultant