Ideas for adaptive slicing

From: Christian Menn (cmenn@fzi.de)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 13:17:23 EET

Hallo everybody,

I am a math student from Germany and I'm working at the Research Center
of Karlsruhe on an algorithm that is able to slice a .stl-representation
adaptively. My idea is the following one:

- Developping a function to determine the quality of a given
layer-representation
- Calculating an optimal layer represantion by using only a finite
number of thicknesses with a generic algorithm. The thicknesses of
these layers can be predefined by the user or be determined by the
algorithm.

My objective is to create the quality function in a way that is
satisfying the needs of the users. That is why I'm asking you the
following question:

Are the machines that you use able to produce layers of varying
thicknesses within one production process and do you apply this
possibility?

What are, in your opinion, the three most important aspects when
creating a quality function for the whole object.