Reply summary: Flexible materials for scuba fin

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 16:16:50 EET

Thank you to the people who replied to my query about material properties
for scuba fins. Here is a summary of replies received. Names are omitted if
the reply was sent privately. I didn't quite get the quantitative data I was
looking for, but I did get four different opinions about what scuba fins are
made of: sanoprene, natural rubber, glass-reinforced silicone rubber, and
EPDM.

    A service company which prototyped fins for a previous customer said the
production units use a 95 Shore A material, possibly sanoprene.

    A former toy company employee said that production fins are made from
"rubber, real rubber from trees" by a fairly involved process and that
"science hasn't found a man made compound that will compare with real
rubber."

    Bill Richards at Virtual Concepts Design said the best fins are made of
glass-reinforced silicone rubber and said he'd like to try making some fins
in such material by either LENS or FDM. He went on to share his personal
experience of the possible advantages of a custom diving mask. But he also
raised the knotty problem of cost, which I will address in my article.

    Nick Osborn of Swift Technologies reported on some work they have done
in making custom automotive seals by LOM of EPDM, which he said is the
material used in making both tires and scuba fins. The problems were the
stepped surface and deficient material properties.

    An experienced diver from an aerospace company pointed out what I found
when I went to inspect fins at a local sporting goods store, that at least
some fins are made of two different materials. The boot part is soft for
comfort, while the flipper part is more rigid for propulsion. He also said
that the most important property for him would be buoyancy, because he keeps
losing his fins.

    Justin Kidder at the U of Pittsburgh corrected my omission of FDM from
the list of fabbers that can work in flexible materials, pointing out
Stratasys' Elastomer 20 material.

    Thanks for your replies folks. This does give me some interesting ideas
to work with.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
President, Ennex Corporation