RE: Approximate Flat Pattern Development of free form surfaces

From: Saurabh Vishal (svishal@iitk.ac.in)
Date: Sun Nov 14 1999 - 15:49:13 EET

Dear Dan Eifert

 Thank You very much for the reply. I have tried that mathematically
developable surfaces can be easily be flat patterned in Pro/E Sheet metal,
but I want to know that can mathematically nondevelopable surfaces can be
also approximately flattened in Pro/E or any other software.
Thanks in advance

Saurabh

At 01:45 PM 11/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Saurabh,
>
>I'm not sure of your definition of a "doubly curved surface", but the
>attached image was done in Pro-E. It represents a very thin (.005 in)
>Kapton flex circuit coiled and bent in a variety of directions. In this
>case I started with a flat pattern and developed the curves, but
>Pro/Sheetmetal (the module which creates this) can start with a solid and
>create the flat pattern also. It is very accurate, stretching the material
>where necessary in order to make the bends as required. Hope this helps!
>
>-
>Dan Eifert
>Electronic Packaging
>Lockheed Martin, Missiles and Fire Control - Orlando
>E-Mail: dan.eifert@lmco.com
>
> <<coil.jpg>>

Saurabh Vishal