RE: Making quickslice quicker!

From: Mitchell, Douglas (D.B.) (dmitchel@ford.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 17:26:40 EET

Oliver,

>From conversations I have had with Stratasys, QuickSlice doesn't utilize
the dual processors. More memory wouldn't hurt, as well as a faster
processor.

An hour per part? I had a part recently that took 8+ hours to slice,
60+ hours to create supports, and another 47 hours to create roads.
This on a SGI Octane with a 250 MHz MIPS and 512 Mbytes of memory.
Of course it was a Quantum part, but it wasn't that tall, just a lot
of detail. The kind of part that cannot be built without an RP system.

I am currently writing a project to buy two dual processor 600 MHz NT
systems so that I can utilize the second processor for other applications
to be run concurrently with QuickSlice.

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ford.com