RE: CAD program that can export surface geomerty from a stl file

From: j.gunnink@ind.tno.nl
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 11:38:01 EET

        Dear ALL

        M Camacho / M Moolman wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am wondering if there is a
> CAD package that is able to convert a *.stl file to surface geomerty
> so that we can use it for machining. CNC codes.

        My answer: why transferring a STL-file to surface geometry when you
can make perfect CNC-files on STL-data by using PowerMILL from DELCAM (UK)
or any other CAM-package which is smart enough to enable this. We use
PowerMILL for 3 years and find it the perfect CAM-package for Mould and
Prototype manufacturing. We use it in combination with both High Speed
Milling and "normal" CNC milling.

        When you want to know more about milling on STL-files like
advantages, possiblities etc. please browse to our WEB-site and download
from the technology-chapter the STL-paper which was presented also at TCT'98
and ECORPM'99

        All te best from Delft

        Jan Willem Gunnink
Jan Willem Gunnink