Re: Sculptures & Zcorp Castings

From: Garcia Romero, Ana (AnGarcia@inasmet.es)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 12:26:25 EET

Dear Steve:

I have been looking at the drawings and information at www.lusas.com,
and it is really an interesting work, and to my opinion a beautiful
sculpture. About those cast joints, I have a couple of questions: How
many of them did you need for the sculpture? It seems there should be
hundreds of them. And in that case, Did you make all of them with
Z-corp models? Wouldn t it be quicker and cheaper to make a "rapid
mold" from one model, and then make wax patterns from the mold?.

I have also some questions that would like to deal with you, but I
cannot reach you by mail. Could you send me a reply to this mail with
the right E-mail address?.

> Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 14:02:49 +0000
> From: "steve upcraft" <steve.upcraft@imcuk.org>
> To: RP-ML <rp-ml@ltk.hut.fi>
> Subject: Sculptures & Zcorp Castings

> RP'ers,
>
> In the last few weeks I've seen a number of postings to the list
> discussing digital sculture RP applications as well as wanting
> assistance with casting from Zcorp patterns. Regrettably I was
> unable to contribute towards either subject due to client
> confidentiality, however my teams involvement in a major UK project
> is now receiving wide media cover here in the UK so I hope you find
> the following outline of interest.
>
> The Millennium Dome in London is nearing completion, immediately
> outside the dome a sculpture park is being created. One of the
> sculptures measures 95 feet heigh and actually stands in the River
> Thames, it is constructed from 3500 square section steel tubes.
> Officially called 'Quantum Cloud' it has become known as Millennium
> Man and is Anthony Gormely's exploration of quantum mechanics, chaos
> theory and the human form!
>
> Whats all this got to do with RP & castings...
> To join the steel tubes together many fabricated junctions were
> created however 364 'special' joints were needed and every one was
> different! To machine the joints would have extended the build
> deadline by at least 18 months and would have blown the budget for
> the project. Our Z402 had only just been delivered so we had some
> concerns but the Zcorp waxed patterns have proven to be absolutely
> ideal.
>
> All 364 components were produced in 10 weeks and so far more than
> 200 have been cast in A4, to date 2 patterns have cracked the
> investment shells - the foundary is delighted with a failure rate of
> <1%.
>
> Our part of the project is now complete so the Z402 can be returned
> to the role for which it was purchased; technology transfer &
> training in RP techniques to small and medium sized businesses here
> in the UK.
>
> As for Millennium Man, he's under construction right now and is on
> schedule for completion by mid December. For more about him, and
> some pic's visit www.lusas.com/gormley/index.html
>
> If anyone wants any specific details regarding the components or the
> casting process just drop me a line.
>
> Regards.
>
> Steve
>

> Steve Upcraft
> General Manager +44(0) 115 925 6142 phone
> Innovative Manufacturing Centre +44(0) 115 926 6147 fax
> 5 William Lee Buildings
> University Boulevard http://www.imcuk.org
> Nottingham. UK
> NG7 2RQ

Dr Ana Garc!a Romero

INASMET
Camino de Portuetxe 12, San Sebasti n 20.009
Spain
Tel. 34-943-31 62 47/31 66 22
Fax. 34-943-21 75 60