Zimmermann - (was interesting layered CNC)

From: Nkin@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 19:29:11 EET

Hi all,

The machine seems too new for any RP-ML'ers to be ready to comment on
experience. I just received my snail-mail brochure today, however.
Apparently, there was also an article in the German newsletter
"NCG-RPD-Report," created for "Euromold 98," but I haven't been able to
access it yet.

In brief, the automated layering process facilitates the accurate machining
of a broader range of complex shapes than would normally be possible with
conventional CNC mills. This is reported to include such features as deep
cavities - cut with relatively short and rigid tools and with
tool-positioning accuracy of +/- 0.01 mm. Machining is done "upside down" so
that chips tend to fall free. Layers must be accurately cut to thickness and
aluminum must be sand blasted in preparation for pneumatic lifting and
automatic bonding. Ten position tool magazine. Maximum rate of feed 40
m/min.

Unfortunately, the total installed price looks like it would push US $500,000
pretty hard. But, this is not a "concept modeler" - and there may be ample
need for precision machining of such complicated shapes, with less operator
involvement. Some of you may want to take a closer look (E-mail:
mkellzim@aol.com).

Norm Kinzie
781 444 6910

{{No, I don't own any Zimmermann stock - I'm just interested in freeform
fabrication and the evolution of lamination.}}