Re: direct manufacturing or production

From: Nuno Reis (nuno.reis@umist.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 06 1999 - 14:21:57 EET

Dear Marshall and List,
You may find a large part of the ONR funded research on direct manufacturing
using SFF technologies on the Naval Research Reviews, No. 3, 1998 (the whole
volume is entirely dedicated to this subject).
In addition, there was a workshop held in Oxford last year to discuss materials
opportunities in layered manufacturing technologies. This was organized by John
Halloran (U. of Michigan) during his sabbatical in the UK. I believe John will
make his report available if you request it. Interesting key findings included
the fabrication of a new class of optimally designed "artificial materials"
(using the homogenization techniques introduced by Kikuchi and others) that
display a proscribed property tensor, and VPC (Virtual Pattern Casting for
single crystal turbine blades) using ceramic stereolithography.
Regards,
Nuno