RE: direct manufacturing or production

From: Ron Clemons (rclemons@harvest-tech.com)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 19:04:30 EET

We've produced hundreds of SLS parts that have been and are being used in
final products. They have been used in robotics computers, printers and as
templates for assembly in the manufacturing of telecommunications equipment
to name a few.

One of the more interesting applications was when a utilities company had us
produce reverse engineered parts because they were discontinued by the
manufacturer. As I remember, they were guards used to keep snakes and
critters from getting into the electrical works that are mounted on
telephone poles. (No one likes a chicken snake in their face when they're
20 feet off the ground!) Some of the reasons for using SLS parts as
production components have been delays in tooling, low quantities needed,
product discontinuance and quick turnaround. We've never received a
complaint for the performance of these parts that I can remember. SLS is
most appropriate for production applications when the parts are small and
needed for function, not cosmetics.

We've been amazed at some of the clever ways our customers have used our SLS
parts.

Ron

Ron Clemons
Harvest Technologies