"Automatic" Reverse Engineering Software

From: Ian Unwin (spur8@dera.gov.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 18:03:46 EET

I am considering the possible purchase of additional software to compliment
an existing reverse engineering capability DERA Malvern. So far I have only
found Raindrop Geomagic's Studio package (www.geomagic.com) - contact has
been made and I will be examining its suitability in the next few weeks.

Can anyone help me find other alternatives?
Does anyone have experience of using this type of software?
What is the quality of surface models produced by this type of package?

Existing equipment/software currently used:

3D Scanners Reversa 25H with RISCAN (www.3dscanners.com)
Imageware Surfacer 9.0 (www.iware.com)
Alias Design Studio 9.0 (www.aliaswavefront.com)

Reasons for considering this type of package are:

Both Surfacer & Alias are excellent packages, however, due to limited staff
resources and other work commitments it is not possible to become fully
proficient users of these. Hence I am attempting to source "quick fix"
modelling methods to speed up the RE process. I am aware that it may be
necessary to further manipulate the surface model using one of the other
software packages before an RP model could be built.

Does anyone think I am wasting my time and perseverance with Surfacer is the
only option!?

Regards

Ian Unwin
Defence Evaluation & Research Agency