RE: Antw: Magics Communicator : Product Announcement

From: Pieter Bourgaux (Pieter.Bourgaux@materialise.be)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 16:20:26 EET

Dear list,

Please let me react on your comments.

We already had communicationsessions with more than 10 STL-files, we didn't
implement any limitations of file usage. The (crash)problem has to be
windows-based or that there are not enough recourses (memory). CPU-speed
isn't that important but memory is. But normally you won't experience any
problems if you only use the communicator and if you don't exaggerate with
the size of the STL-files when having 32MB of ram.

The MCP-files are small bitmaps used for the preview-function in the
import-menu. Once calculated, they're saved on the disk for faster
visualization of the STL-piece.

About the delay over the net. Normal response time on a LAN, or between two
PC's who are directly connected to the Internet is less than 1 second. If
one or both users are working from behind a firewall, Magics Communicator
uses http protocol to conference, which can cause a delay of 2 to 5 seconds
between the two screens. The response time is not dependant on the band with
of your Internet connection, since only small amounts of data are sent: it
is the general Internet speed and the gateway to the Internet
(firewall/proxyserver) that can cause a delay of a few seconds.

If you really want to check out the performance of our IGES, dxf (only
faces) and VDA-importmodules, you can ask passwords that gives you the
chance to evaluate our software for one month.

If you're having other questions concerning this software, don't hesitate to
contact us at communicator@materialise.be.

Regards,

Pieter

Pieter Bourgaux RP Software division
Application Engineer tel. + 32 16 39 66 74
Materialise n.v. fax. +32 16 39 66 00
Technologielaan 15 pieter.bourgaux@materialise.be
B-3001 Leuven http://www.materialise.be
Belgium