Re: DXF vs. STL file size

From: Neal & Christina Vail (cnvail2@swbell.net)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 08:10:59 EEST

Michael,

STL will probably be smaller than DXF independent
of whether it is ASCII or binary. The reason is
DXF is an ASCII format (a wordy one at that) that can
contain information other than surface faces. In addition,
the face information is very much like STL in that each
face definition contains vertex information (there is
also color and data type information as well). Therefore,
both formats contain redundant vertex information.
If the DXF file contains only face information, it will
probably be similar in size to an ASCII STL.

Ciao.