RE: Very High Temp Prototype

From: Brent Stucker (stucker@uri.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 17:01:12 EEST

Doug,

I believe you could use the standard RapidSteel 2.0 developed by DTM
for that application. I am working on a material that will almost get there
in terms of temperature resistance. It is a zirconium dioxide flour with a
high-temperature epoxy binder system (we are developing it for a potential
customer that wants to use it as a dielectric insulator for electrical
contacts). We are designing it to withstand up to 500F, but we have not yet
completed the testing of it. If your application is one where the 600-1000F
temperature exposure is for a short period of time, this material would
probably work as well.

Brent Stucker
Dr. Brent Stucker
Assistant Professor
University of Rhode Island
Dept. of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
Gilbreth Hall, 2 East Alumni Ave.
Kingston, RI 02881
ph: (401)874-5187
fax: (401)874-5540