Re: RE: HeCd laser lifetimes ???

From: Mark Wynn (mwynn@yazaki-na.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 23:04:17 EEST

William,

I'm curious, what type of UPS are you using? Is it a "line interactive", an "on line", or an "in line type".
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on this subject but here is how it was explained to me. A "line interactive" type of UPS just monitor's (and filters) the power coming in from the outlet and passes it right back out to your equipment. If it notices a disturbance that is out of tolerance, it will kick over to the power stored on the batteries which is clean. However not all UPS's have the capability to catch all irregularities.
An "on line" type UPS actually takes AC power changes it to DC, cleans it, and stores it to batteries. Then changes the DC back to AC and sends it to your equipment. This system doesn't allow any irregularities to pass to your equipment.
I am curious because we found out the hard way. We originally didn't want to spend more than we needed to. So we elected to buy the "line interactive" type. We didn't see any improvement at all. After consultation from a specialized group of our electrical company we got a refund for that UPS and put it towards an "on line" Liebert. We have had great success ever since.

Mark Wynn
Yazaki North America
Canton, MI
Phone: 734-983-1702
e-mail: mwynn@yazaki-na.com

Steve,

Believe me I have tried pretty much everything, got the UPS & filter several years ago, tried leaving the laser ON, etc, etc .... Still the same results, some good, some fair & some bad lasers. I guess that's how the cookie crumbles.

I would be curious to know the percentage of He/Cd lasers making it at X # of hours.

Regards,

William LeBlanc, ing.
Concept + Inc.
leblanw@concept-plus.com