Re: light year work around

From: ATiburon@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 04:10:42 EEST

In a message dated 99-09-15 11:23:38 EDT, sdeak@hasbro.com writes:

<< Some parameters are editable, within prescribed ranges in the "Advanced
 Mode". Cure depths, overcures, hatch & fill spacing. The kicker is WITHIN
 A PRESCRIBED RANGE. If you want to deviate from these values, you must get
 3D to change them for you. >>
What about those users that shelled out $2500 for "AccuMax"? Without the
ability to edit Ec and Dp that tool is useless even if you were running Ciba
resin. With all the so called Beta testing done on Lightyears its quite
obvious that no user with an SLA 250/40 running Somos was ever consulted.
Since that is most likely the largest population of SLA's it's hard to
believe that this user hostile feature of Lightyears was the result of some
oversight or incompetence rather than some asshole marketing maneuver. Having
played with Lightyears for a couple of weeks I can say that in my case its a
useless waste of disk space. The only benefit for me was to justify a 500 mhz
pentium. I am continuely disappointed by 3D's inability to grasp the concept
of concurrent engineering. When you consider that stereolithography has been
so instrumental in changing the design paradigm for most of the industry, its
soooo frustrating to see 3D doing things the oldfasioned way, throwing their
latest great idea over the wall and saying to us, "here it is, don't you love
it?". I have sat in on many user group wish list sessions. I never heard
anyone ask for a machine with a marginal increase in capacity and 50%
increase in price (SLA 7000). Anyone like to own up to that one? That sure
hasn't been a big seller for 3D. In fact it's getting real difficult to find
anyone who will admit to being a 3D salesman. Unfortunately it seems to me
that their inability to design concurrently with their customer base, which
includes some of the top engineering and design firms in the country, is
leading them down the same slippery slope as Helisys went. All you got to do
3D is ask us, we'll gladly tell you how to make your products better and more
competetive. It seems that entreprenurial genius always comes with a serious
case of "not-invented-here" syndrome.
Andy Scott
Lockheed Martin Aero Sys