Digitizing using ATOS

From: E. Mueller (gom@acel.ch)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 12:05:48 EEST

CAD, Rapid Prototyping, Design Changes, Reverse Engineering, CAD, ....

Dear Sirs,

ATOS, the digitizing solution from GOM

ATOS is the established solution for digitizing applications. The form
data is available from ATOS as point clouds, as STL data or as section
data. From the data, dimensional Quality Control as well as milling on
points or reproducing the part using RP is straight forward.
In addition the system is the leading product used in industry and
automotive applications to realize Reverse Engineering solutions.

The ATOS sensor consists of two CCD cameras in combination with a white
light projector positioned between these cameras. In the light
projector, a slide is moved, projecting multiple grids on the object to
be digitized. During the measurements, the two cameras snap a series of
images. From these images, the ATOS software calculates a 3D point from
each visible point on the object, seen by both cameras and illuminated
by the projector.

In addition, the ATOS sensor defines the position of small markers
(reference points) which are applied to the object. For small objects,
the multiple ATOS measurement needed to cover the complete object are
automatically matched into the existing measurings based on these
reference points. Using this method, complete objects can be digitized
in an efficient manner. Then section data or STL data from the complete
object can be calculated to allow a smooth interface into Quality
Control systems, RP or CAD systems or Reverse Engineering applications.

To digitize large objects, the reference points are applied and the
TRITOP system is used to define its position in space. Then individual
ATOS measurements are fitted in an automated manner into the existing
reference point skeleton.

Using the ATOS 1.3 with the TRITOP system, a full sized car is digitized
in half a day. Application notes, showing the result of the digitizing
of the outside, the inside and the B.I.W. of the Ford Focus, as well as
measurements for NASA, showing how shrinkage in the Rapid Model
Fabrication process effects distortion in the part. These application
notes are available on <http://www.gom.com/eproducts.html#casestudies>.

We offer:
- the standard ATOS system, with up to 440'000 data points per view
- the high resolution ATOS system (ATOS 1.3) with up to 1'3 Million data
  points per view
- the ATOS XL system, consisting of both an ATOS and a TRITOP
system. This system is a complete and transportable solution to
digitize big size objects

>From our data a direct RP model can be generated using our STL output or
milling on points. For a Reverse Engineering application, different
packages are available from different vendors which "bridge the gap" to
CAD or offer a professional 3D data point processing. Some of these
companies are mentioned in our web in <http://www.gom.com/elinks.html>.

If you need more information about our products, or your nearest
contact, a distributor or a GOM company, please visit our web-site at
<http://www.gom.com/epartners.html>

We will update our products and the application reports on a regular
basis. If you wish to be on our mailing list, please klick here
<http://www.gom.com/eservice.html>.

With best regards

Your GOM Team

Dr. Ernst Mueller mailto:E.Mueller@gom.com
GOM International AG http://www.gom.com
Bremgarterstr. 89B Tel.: +41 (0)56 631 0404
CH-8967 Widen, Switzerland Fax: +41 (0)56 631 0407