Re: Reverse Engineering

From: Innomation Systems & Technologies Pte. Ltd., (istpl@singnet.com.sg)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 10:52:45 EEST

hi John,

please consider the digitising device that you will want based on my
personal opinion :-
1) the size of the product (possible maximum size that you need to scan)
2) the speed of digitising the part.

size does matter
~~~~~~~~~~~~
in IST, we have used the ATOS Optical Digitiser (http://www.gom-online.de)
to scan parts from as small as a pager to as big as a TV cabinet. all we
have to do is to change the calibration of the digitiser with a different
set of lenses, projector and calibration panel and we can proceed to
digitise a different size product. in my opinion, the ATOS has really no
size limitation. check GOM website...and they can tell you they ever scan a
car to a Boeing 747!!!

speed is efficiency count
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i think if we measure rp time to build a prototype as a measure of
efficiency...we can consider the time to complete scanning a part as the
same form. ATOS works with optics and images.....the speed to complete
scanning is even faster than laser, touch-probe and definitely CMM. ATOS
can also probe into "unchartered" territories where no scanners can go
before. right now, we can justify to say...what you can see is what you can
get...because the ATOS really works like our pair of eyes.

i am not against CMM...but consider the part profile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my notes here are not against CMM....even the founder will say if you want
to measure simple circles and rectangles...use a CMM....but consider again
if you want to digitise free-form profile....where will you start to find
the datums....can you imagine any standards datum planes on a human hand or
for simplicity even the arm?

the arm looks circular...but in fact....there is no standard datum you can
use or neither to represent it as a circle or ellipse. hence, if you
consider this type of freeform profile....my suggestion is why not you give
GOM a call and a visit first...you be amazed by what the scanner can do.

in our company, we have reversed engineered from hands, turbine blades,
airfoils, car lamps, dolls, fan blades, part of spine, spoon and forks(not
very easy for a simple fork) and many more to come. and we use ATOS with
the Surfacer software.

Sincerely,
joseph sim

----------
> From: John Makuch <John_Makuch@caradon.com>
> To: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
> Subject: Reverse Engineering
> Date: Monday, September 06, 1999 8:17 PM
>
> Dear All,
>
> Thanks to all who replied to the enquiry below and, also, supplied
additional
> information for us to follow up.
>
> How effective is Reverse Engineering in a design process?
>
> We are considering the purchase of a Co-Ordinate Measuring Machine which
will,
> largely, be at the disposal of New Product Develpoment. The use of
Reverse