RE: Build Problems with SLA and Confused!

From: Scott, Andrew R (andrew.r.scott@lmco.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 00:29:03 EEST

Hi Karl,
Your predicament must have struck a chord because I was dreaming about
answering your plea last night. Lets see if my answer makes sense while I'm
awake. You didn't say whether your more accurate parts were located near the
center of the vat and the less accurate ones were towards the outer edges.
What I know about SLA accuracy;
One of the first things that comes to mind would be an out of round beam
condition. Either laser problems or mirror clipping. You could check for
this, first by looking at the xy ratio, 1 is ideal. Then, wearing your laser
safety goggles of course, by using the "move beam" option in the beam
routine and program the x,y to the extreme locations x=0
y= 65,536 etc. and looking at the beam shape projected on a piece of card
stock. An out of round beam would produce worse curing profiles the farther
from the center of the scan region.
Another thing I have noticed is the need to run test parts after a PM. My
guess is that slight changes in the resin level as a result of maintenance
can change the so-called shrink factors. I just make some sticks nine inches
long (250) length and typical wall thickness for my application, in each
orientation, in the center and near the edges and measure the results to
determine the actual compensation required. Christmas trees bear little
resemblance to any actual geometry I might be building so are of limited
use.
Another possibility;
Ed Gargulio, bless his soul, used to explain the workings of the SLA in
great detail. One of the things he mentioned was that due to the scanner
design, one of the vectors, I forget which X or Y can't scan a straight
line, but scans an arc in the absence of compensation. Therefore one of the
reasons for calibration. To characterize this non linear distortion and
correct for it at run time. If your cal file gets corrupted all accuracy
bets are off. Usually your FE will have made a back up of this file after
the last calibration. This brings up the point that due to the point source
scanning your most accurate parts will be those located near the center of
the scan area. The farther off axis you get, i.e.. towards the edges of the
vat the less likely you are to hit the target. With the beam that is. 3D
presented data at one time that showed a more accurate user part made on a
500 as opposed to a 250. That makes sense due to the longer focal length,
hence less off axis scanning and better scanning system. If they had done
the obvious and made a user part scaled to 500 capacity, 19 inches rather
than 9 inches etc. It would have shown that it makes a less accurate large
part.
Another possible source of inaccurate scan regions;
That would be some schmutz(gunk) on brewster window. Fairly easy to see and
clean up. Could be splashed up from the vat or a big piece of dust. By now I
hope you have gotten lots of suggestions and are on your way to making great
parts. I'd love to hear what is takes to resolve this problem.
Andy Scott
Lockheed Martin Aero Sys