contract house half a world away

From: lonepeak (lonepeak@aros.net)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 21:45:52 EEST

Marshall Burns wrote:

> How practical is it to turn over design of parts and subsystems to a
>contract house half a world away?

Our clients are located all over the world. We often work on design
teams that coordinate international contributions. With internet
communications and express mail it can take less time for me to
communicate electronically and express ship components than it would for
me to try and drive on I15 (under massive construction and subject to
complete shutdown) from Salt Lake City to Orem. Utah.

The state of Utah has such a small population base that we have regularly
had to go outside of the state for business activities. If I am dealing
with someone in New Jersey, is that radically different from Great
Britain, Germany, or Australia?? Not really. What I look for is a solid
company with a technical solution to meet the constraints of the specific
job that we are working on. If they have a track record and we can work
together well, I don't care what continent they are on. I also expect
the reverse to be true.

Alair
Javelin
Salt Lake City, Utah