Re: The term "fabber"

From: Brad Fox (bfox@rapid-design.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 19:46:10 EEST

Marshal and List:
I'm actually glad this topic came up. Since the first time I heard the word
"fabber" used for anything related to rapid prototyping (or whatever we want
to call it), I felt it to be a very unusual term.

Marshal writes:
>I don't want to use "3-D
>printer" because I think this stuff deserves distinct treatment from
>printers and because it will create confusion when you want to leave off the
>"3-D" prefix.

3D Printing seems to be the best, most accurate term for the emerging "low
end" market. "Printing" applies because for most of the machines (except
Genisys) thats EXACTLY the technology being used. In fact, the ThermoJet
from 3D Systems uses OTS printing head from a very well known "printing"
company, Tektronics. Zcorp is also using a printing head to apply their
binder. New machines on the horizon from SRI and ..... are incorporating
printing technology.

IMHO 3D Printing is a perfect term for this "class" of rapid prototyping
equipment.

Brad Fox
Rapid Design Technologies