Re: Sending design work overseas

From: aaroflex (aaroflex@aaroflex.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 02:34:02 EEST

Dear Marshall Burns and List,

There are about thirty 747-400 leaving the west coast every day of the week to
take engineers, technicians and buyers, as well as others to the Orient. I
have made about thirty-five trips to the Asia Pacific as an Engineer. During
these long trips you tend to visit with others and discuss their mission which
are similar. The big scheme of things indicate this trend will continue for
some time. The RP machines gave the USA an edge in product development for
awhile. Early on we took work from Artisans in Italy who were doing wood
carvings for kitchen appliances. Today, those organizations are now buying
machines and regaining the work. Product development groups appear to be
smaller groups than some of the other types of engineering. Infrastructure
engineering, for an example, has been sharing work with "off-shore firms" for
sometimes. Basically, the US firm will do the conceptual design, the
feasibility study, the plan, and preliminary engineering and then farm out the
hard straight line production for international projects. You simply can not
compete in the world market with US prices as indicated by our balance of
trade. The US sells innovation of technology to the world and very little
production except on those items. There are fewer engineers being produced in
the USA and more engineering being generated than can be accomplished.
Therefore, this increases wages and reduces world competition.

By the way, I do not like the word "fabbers". You are attempting to include
several skills into one word and this will not work. What are you called if you
work if a fab shop doing fabrication of pipe for an erection project? What are
you called if you fabricate homes in a shop?

Best of luck to all of you hard working skills, whatever you may be called.

Albert C. Young
CEO
AAROFLEX, Inc.