RE:

From: Jim Burt (jim.burt@infocus.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 00:49:13 EEST

Elaine, Folks,

I rarely respond to comments, questions, yes, but almost never to opinions.
However, in this case I am making an exception since I feel strongly about
the value of this list.. I am deeply grateful to whoever created this list
and allows me access to it. By no other means that I am aware of, do I have
the ability to ask so many knowledgeable people questions. A few months ago
I was researching a scanner system and had made about 30 phone calls (most
misdirected) and visited many, many web sites that sounded as though they
should have what I needed. Most of that was wasted time. Then I posted a
question to the group and received over 60 good answers. I finally had to
yell "uncle" because I was getting more info than I could process. I have
not yet purchased the scanner, but will in the next few weeks or so. Now I
have most of the information I needed. Last week I bought a Stratasys
Quantum FDM machine. Again, much of the information used to make the
decision came from people on this list.

I remember when I was a young engineer, now I am an old engineering manager.
One of the few things that has not changed between being young and old is
the lack of resources available for information on other than mainstream
processes. I am not a novice at prototyping, I was Gen. Mgr. of a
"Development" shop in 1978, but at the rate RP is changing today, almost
everyone is behind the learning or "being current" curve. It is truly
amazing to me how little today's engineers know about RP. I think it should
be at least a part of every eng. school's curriculum. We have some of the
very best engineers in the world working here but they don't know beans
about RP. If I were to tell one of them to go off and research a way to
prototype glass bottles, for instance, they wouldn't stand a chance. But if
I suggested they start at this list they would probably come back with many
good suggestions.

Who do you call if you don't know? Do you just call up a shop and say you
need to prototype a new projector enclosure and take his word for it that
the best way is to carve a wooden mockup or style it from clay because he
too is 10 years out of date. There are many of those guys still around. How
do you when you are being smoked like a cheap cigar? The rp list is a way to
at least get more information.

I agree that there is a lot of stuff on the list, about 95%, that I care
nothing about but that 5% is a treasure. So far as spam is concerned I don't
see it as that much different than the 95% I don't care about, so it's just
part of the price.

Please keep up the great work.

      James R. Burt
Mgr., Prod. Des Services