Sending design work overseas

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 14:14:24 EEST

Dear Ashish and list,

    I am intrigued by the inquiry (repeated below) from an engineering
company in India, seeking contract engineering design work.

    My background is not as an engineer, although I am working to develop a
new product and bring it to market. In doing so, I am finding myself very
inclined to work with engineers in my local area, with whom I can get
together face-to-face to discuss issues. Also, I find it important to have a
close working relationship with my engineers.

    How practical is it to turn over design of parts and subsystems to a
contract house half a world away? I'm sure there are many people on this
list that work for big or small companies that have experience relevant to
this question. Then there are others, like Ashish in India and many fab shop
(i.e. "service bureau") operators, who have the experience of providing this
kind of service. I would appreciate your taking the time to comment.

    The answer is not just significant to me in how I manage my company's
engineering development. The answer is relevant to the whole issue of how
products will be designed, developed, and manufactured in this radical new
Internet/fabber era we are moving into.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns

Marshall@Ennex.com
Ennex Corporation, Los Angeles, USA, (310) 824-8700
www.Ennex.com