Re: problem with quickcast models!

From: ATiburon@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 02:58:36 EEST

In a message dated 99-09-03 11:06:14 EDT, steve@protogenic.com writes:

<< We were advised long ago that standard isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is
approx.
 30% water, and that is what swells QC. >>
Water/humidity would be a concern if you are still using first generation
epoxy resins such as 5170 or 5180, but shouldn't bother second generation
resins such as offered by DSM or RPC. Truth to tell though I have used plain
wrap IPA on even 5170 quickcast parts for the longest. Now that I use a
humidity resistant resin it would be even less of an issue, IMHO. No point in
wasting money on "pure" solvents if its not necessary. Of course you should
make an effort to keep the solvent from getting inside the part.
Andy Scott
Lockheed Martin Aero Sys