reverse engineering effectiveness

From: lisa (scansite@slip.net)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 18:45:00 EEST

Hi John & others,

I wrote a paper to accompany my presentation at the rapid prototyping &
manufacturing conference in Chicago last April addressing this very issue.
The piece is titled "How Scanning Technology Impacts Product Development."
It is printed in the conference preceedings handout and is being reprinted
in the September issue of NASA Tech Briefs magazine. Anyone interested in
reading this can contact me directly and I will fax or e-mail you a copy.

Cheers, Lisa Federici

Lisa Federici
Scansite "Scanning the world and back again!"
Woodacre, California
tel 415.488.9500
fax 415.488.1647
scansite@slip.net
http://scansite.com

You wrote:

My next question is:

How effective is the use of Reverse Engineering in a design process?

Caradon Mira are considering the purchase of a Co-Ordinate Measuring Machine
which will, largely, be at the disposal of New Product Develpoment. The use of
Reverse Engineering in this process is one of the main considerations for the
purchase of a CMM, however, we are not wholly convinced as to the advantages
this technique will bring to our product design and development and are
therefore unsure as to whether to invest, or not.

Is there anyone out there who can offer advise as to benefits, or otherwise,
Reverse Engineering can offer.

Thanks

John.