Fwd: Another TLA for you

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 14:45:09 EEST

>Good work, I came across HIP for the first time yesterday. I am amazed that
>any fragment of information in the world of RP has passed you by. Are you
>slippping?

Mark,

I must defend my appearance of 'slipping'! The list is a set of RP
technologies presented during the Austin conference. I came up with it
since I realized that I heard just a few SLS or SLA talks. So I checked
over the abstracts and put together the list then added the acronyms. If
we pulled together the entire list of potential RP&M technologies you would
quickly see my posted list is only about 1/3 of total. So Terry's chasm
probably exists due to new potential technologies rather than a loss of
interest.

As for HIP or Hot Isostatic Pressing, this topic blossomed at the 1997
Austin conference and was part of several papers. Since it is a secondary
process applied during or after model building I did not include it.
Otherwise I would have to include the infiltration processes of some of the
RT and Z-Corp. These are not RP technologies but enhancements.

What is IPT? This was discussed and may lead to controlled material
properties.

What else was new at Austin? Long lines at the ladies room.

Elaine

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html