Re: RP Paper

From: Ronald Jones (rjones@sharedreplicators.com)
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 01:32:22 EEST

Phill, Sean, Allan, Marshal and anyone else who wants to wade in,

Some time ago I became acquainted with the concept of paradigms and paradigm
shifts. I believe part of the explanation as to why the manufacturing world
views RP as a way to improve upon the mechanized industry model and fields
such as medicine, forensics, architecture and fine art see RP as an improved
method for customized fabrication relates to the fact that most paradigm
shifts originate from the "fringes" of a field, not from the center. In
fact, I see most of the breakthroughs to occur in the next few years will be
outside of established industry. Then through a reverse process,
manufacturers will adapt to an increased market demand for "custom" products
that can only be cost-effectively produced using equipment that had its
origins in what we call RP today.

But this whole conversation reminds me of a technique that Heinlin, a
science fiction writer developed called "future history". Using this
technique, writers create a future world, but recognize there must be a
logical progression for the evolution of the culture as well as technology.
Given that notion, you can use your imagination to envision a future world
where products are mostly custom; complex systems like spacecraft and
aircraft carriers are self-replicating and even self-improving. And picking
up on Marshal's thoughts, I agree that e-commerce will become the
distribution backbone of the world economy and production will adapt to
anything which provides competitive advantage using that medium. Perhaps
within the next few years, we'll see literally thousands of new service
bureaus dedicated to new custom applications that are directly marketed to
customers through the internet. By default, manufacturing as we know it
begins to diminish and we return instead to the cottage industry that
preceded the industrial revolution but updated to the 21st Century.